Recently an intriguing, but a very interesting question popped out and made me think and I rarely think. The question goes like this “How do I persuade my audience?” and it made me wonder how all those rich businessmen get all their buyers, those politicians to get the favour of the voters and what not. The art of persuasion is very interesting indeed. You might be wondering: “Hey Joseph, why did you just call persuasion an art?” and that is a very good question and asking that makes me think and as I said earlier thinking is a rare instance for me and when I do think just stand back and watch as I blow your mind away with the things I will and can come up with ranging from the utterly nonsensical things or to the cleverest of things even for my standards, but what is not rare for me is learning.
“Why is persuasion an art?” you might ask and this makes me ask “why did you just ask that a second time?” just wait and you will know soon enough because I will tell you. I call persuasion an art because not everybody can use it as effectively as others. I can compare it to other forms of art like illustrative or musical arts. In the illustrative arts others can use their abilities and imagination more effectively than others do. For example in painting there are those that are just not cut out to be painters while others paint and the audience basks in the greatness and artistry. Musicians also have that ability to be much more able than others. They make great music with originality in every note they make while others take so much time to learn the simplest of songs. Comparing these to persuasion it is all the same and thus I can call persuasion an art. Some people have the art of persuasion down and they are juggernauts when they persuade people. People gather and they gather to listen and they do what they are told. On the other hand others who do not have this art act like repellents to the audience as if they have somehow converted their insect repellents to ward people off.
Now, how does this art of persuasion work? Well I think persuasion plays with the mind of the audience. Others choose to make the audience feel good with their barrage of sweet and uplifting words, others make the audience think, and others play with the ethics of the audience. Respectively these can be classified as pathos, logos, and then ethos. Thinking about this it made me realize something: it is all in the mind. These persuasive people somehow know what their audience wants and what their audience wants gets the attention of the audience. Some just use the cuteness :3
And now I will give some examples as to how to attract some attention and do some persuasion. The most attention grabbing phrase that I know of is “Hey, do you want money?” and then make them do what you want them to do and I know nothing beats money or is it just me? LOL! You can also do something unusual that will grab the attention of the people around you like dance in the middle of a crowd, do a stunt, do a magic show (Criss Angel whoooo!!), or run around screaming. Just make sure that you keep the attention on you while you are already trying to say what you want to say and they do what you want them to do.
Persuasion gets audiences, people to do stuff for you, or people to buy stuff from you. Learn this art and it will never let you down. You can get people to do what you want even if they do not want to. You attack them subtly inside (as to not hurt them) to convince them to do anything you want them to or be convinced of what you are trying to tell them. Persuasion is just not for others to do your bidding, you use it also so that people will listen to you and side with you. Now do you want to learn the art of persuasion? Persuasive ain’t it?

COOOOOOOL!
ReplyDelete(okay that's not a substantial comment)
Reading your blog is really a fun thing to do. I can say that it is a balance of sharing your knowledge on the topic and sharing your personal opinion on things.
It's good that you used pictures to show the readers what you are trying to say. The cuuuuuuuuuuuute cat got my attention. Yes, I noticed it first before the blog itself. Anyway, the use of pictures between the text gives the readers some time to relax their eyes from a text heavy blog entry. Thumbs up because you used a very effective picture of a cute cat. :3
Just a suggestion: try changing your layout/theme. Reading your wonderful work becomes hard because of the background :)
That's all! THUMBS UP!
Hey Joseph! I really like how you came up with the idea relating persuasion with art. What you said is true, indeed. I also agree with this line that you used:
ReplyDelete"I call persuasion an art because not everybody can use it as effectively as others."
True enough, only some are given the ability to persuade people naturally. Personally, I envy those people because similar to art, persuasion is a very powerful tool. Through it, you could influence how other people think about something.
I also like your style of writing because it's very humorous and engaging! Keep it up!
P.S. The cat's so cute! :)
I share the same idea as you that persuasion is indeed an art form in its own right. But I also see persuasion as a skill and as a tool. Persuasion can be mastered but some are just born with the "silver tongue". But after reading your blog I think persuasion now is indelible in any mode of communication. Every conversation or any other means of communication with people will always have the hidden motive of persuasion in it. Even if you are just narrating or conversing you are still actually persuading them to listen to you.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I like the cat :D
I like the line "Persuasion gets audiences, people to do stuff for you, or people to buy stuff from you. Learn this art and it will never let you down." basically because it encapsulates what your blog is talking about. I cannot agree more that when you know how to persuade people, you could actually turn them into your slaves in one way or another. With the power of persuasion, you can handle everything.
ReplyDeleteLike what you did in your blog you have showed how persuasion can be used in luring readers to be attracted to the art which you have emphasized on. Indeed you posses the art of persuasion because you have effectively used the power of words to entice readers to feel that when they have this so called "power" they would be able to enjoy it in their success in businesses, the persuasion to buy and sell, and other aspects. This so called skill for me is really a hard thing to achieve because i don't have that skill in the art you talked about but due to your influence i was persuaded to strive and learn the art of persuasion because of its durability in not just the small aspects like businesses but it would be helpful in life itself. Thank you very much for your insight and for stressing out the importance of the so called art of persuasion.
ReplyDeleteLet me just say THE CAT IS SO CUTE!!!!!! Teeheee <3<3<3
ReplyDeleteI really love the fact that when I read your blog I can see Joseph in it. You communicate yourself to me, a reader, perfectly. It contains examples and how you wrote it was the best part because I can just imagine you saying that to me.
I agree that persuasion is an art that must be learned. If you learn this, you can get what you want. And super true with it will never let you down!!
GOODJOB Joseph! <3<3<3
Good work, Joseph! You're right. Persuasion IS an art, not only because it is a skill that is limited to a few 'talented' people, but it is something that entails creative execution. I'd like to think, though, that it is something that can be LEARNED, as is any creative endeavor.
ReplyDeleteIt's true, though, that some are blessed with more persuasive skill than others :)