Saturday, July 16, 2011

Week 4 Hey Guy, You Got A Problem?

                Things do not always go the way we want it to happen and that is so true. You give everything you can do, all your efforts, all you hard work but ultimately in the end nada, zilch, NOTHING! Everything you did, gone in mere seconds and you cannot do anything about it. Painful isn’t it? Saddens you? Relates to you?

                People fail all the time and that is normal. Heck! I fail (in my tests) all the time but it hasn’t stopped me from being cheerful and hopeful that the future holds the better. Do not be so over bent with failure as you learn from the mistakes and it eventually leads to success. But no matter how you think and know that the future will be better you are still struck by the failure you have experienced because you know that the effort that you put in to something just became pointless. COGNITIVE DISSONANCE! ßWhat a phrase! It just basically means the “feeling of discomfort caused by situations inconsistent with one’s own cognitions” or in plain English “WTF! NO! That is not what I wanted! Wa!” and then cuss words follow. :P

Let us define a few terms shall we?
Cognition – this is what you want, what you believe in.
Dissonance – this is what you do not want, it just doesn’t sit well with your beliefs.
Consonant – everything is consistent with your beliefs, you crave this!

                Cognition is what everybody wants. By nature people want it their way and will be disappointed if their way is not to be followed. This is now called dissonance and people do not want this. Some people will be really shallow and some will be very critical at this. For example when it comes to sports I am pretty shallow. I just play for the fun and I do not mind when I lose but when it comes to video games I can be very critical and I always want to win unless I know that I am really no match against my opponents. I play this online game called Heroes of Newerth and I play to win because of the opponents that I usually get. I usually get the boastful ones that think they are better than everybody else. So naturally this makes my friends and I uncomfortable (dissonance) and we want to correct this. We beat the crap out of them and at the end we feel all good and happy inside that we were able to make them eat their own words and shut them up (consonant, mmmm feels goood). They trash talk, we deliver and that is how it works. Oh, and we trash talk back also to complement the opponents’ ass whooping courtesy of my team. Another thing my friends and I find joy in is planking. Planking is when you lie face down in the most unusual of places with your arms placed at your sides and somebody takes picture and posts it on the internet. We enjoyed this activity so much so that we made our own fan site called Ateneo Planking which now has a relatively good following of more plankers in Ateneo. We find joy in this activity even though it makes us look stupid in the eyes of many because it is very weird and unusual and it also brings joy to those that see you.
I am wearing the purple shirt :)

                To sum everything up, everybody wants it their way. Things though do not always happen the way they want it to be, but this is okay! We learn from our mistakes to lessen the risks of making the same mistakes in the future and when things go our way we just feel very happy for ourselves.

Back Street Boys, take it away! “ I want it that way

3 comments:

  1. I agree that people do always want it to happen their way. This statement really does apply to me. I get sad or angry when things don't go the way I planned it to be. Mistakes for me has no room in life. But then again, no one is perfect. We better learn how to make the most of our mistakes.

    Goodjob Joseph! Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting that popped into my mind when I read your blog is that cognitions may be dissonance to others. In a simple example, I myself LOVE LOVE LOVE spicy food to the point that I am immune to the spice of up Jalapeno peppers but my sister who HATES HATES HATES spicy food will absolutely cry if you made her eat anything spicy. People will always try to remove any dissonance if they can, of course who wouldn't? So through doing cognitions we can also remove some dissonance.

    In simpler words "Kanya kanyang trip, wag kang dyahe." :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. amusing how you started your blog by making the reader feel that he is actually conversing with you or that the reader is taking part while reading your blog. your grasp on the lesson is evident with the way you presented your own experience while playing the online game.

    ReplyDelete