Through extensive guidance testing I have received my results and I have been classified as an introvert. I think this classification alone help explain why I have so much difficulty in meeting and talking to people I do not know very well. It always feels so awkward when I have to meet new people because I do not know what to say and do. Being an introvert I do all typical introvert stuff. I stay at home all day, watch the telly all day, eat all day, sit all day, and play videogames all day. These typical introvert activities make me a poor conversation starter. I do not know what to talk about because I only know what happens inside my house or what I am interested in, but I cannot talk about that it’s boring.
I can only talk normally and with full confidence with my friends. This makes it hard when I am being required to talk to strangers or others that I am not close to. This sometimes consists of buying stuff, interviews, or asking others to answer surveys. This is a dilemma for me because sometimes school work requires talking to people that most likely I am not close to or are total strangers. It is not a nice feeling and it puts me in a delay. In class we talked about uncertainty reduction theories. People want to reduce the uncertainty they have in others in order to build a good relationship with each other or to know each other better. I feel like I have to utilise this uncertainty reduction thingy in order to be rid of my unsociable nature.
I am also a partially shy person. Sometimes I am confident when I am in front of people but sometimes I get scared and nervous. This all depends though on circumstances though. I can get my confidence if I have friends in the audience, for my grades, or if I just enjoy what I am doing. I get very nervous when I know I will be embarrassing myself in front of people, I do what I normally do not do, or I have no idea of what I am supposed to be doing in the first place. Just sharing :)
Sometimes or often I wish I was like the sociable ones. They can talk to people with ease and they always seem to know what to talk about even if they do not know the person they are talking to. I feel like they actually do know who they are talking to and that is something I envy them for.
I agree that you have to utilize URT in order to get rid of your unsociable nature. My advice is don't be shy. Be aggressive! When you meet someone, talk to them about anything that will keep the conversation alive and will help you get to know the person better. Keep in mind not to bring up offensive topics in a conversation. By the manner of how the person answer, you will know how the person reacts and behaves. Use your charms to be sociable and don't be shy because I am sure that you won't embarrass yourself in front of people. :D
ReplyDeleteGoodjob Joseph! Keep up the good work! <3
Hi!
ReplyDeleteI was classified as an extrovert but i have my inner introverts which made reading this entry quite relevant to me. Sometimes it is difficult but our lesson made me appreciate more why we tend to be introverted or extroverted.
Thanks for bringing that up!
I share your sentiments bro. There are times when I'm afraid to converse with other people because they might consider me weird when I say something. Physically speaking, at first glance I don't look like a sociable person. Many people tell me that I look like a snob. Haha. Anyway, maybe in a conversation we just have to ask and ask questions to keep the conversation going.
ReplyDeleteI'd have to agree with everything you said. I myself am an introvert and I really find it hard to reach out and communicate to people that I don't really know. I find it hard to start a conversation, I find it hard to continue a conversation. Well, i think it is something very common to everyone, only a few people are gifted with the talent of being sociable. Anyway, great job on your blog, Jo! :D
ReplyDeleteI am a 50:50! lol
ReplyDeleteAccording to my score I am an extrovert but only a few points above being an introvert. I think you already practice URT even being an introvert. Actually you practice more URT than those who are openly sociable. You take more steps and precautions when practicing URT. So my point here is that URT varies from person to person, in the sense that others take more steps while others may all together nearly bypass URT.