Imagine a world without technology(modern technology). A world without computers, phones(including cellphones), cars, internet, television and whatnot. I have imagined this kind of world and I imagined a very sad me in it or at least a very bored me or both. My life has become so dependent on technology that a few days without my computer can have me getting depressed over it. I depend on my electronic gadgets very much. They are my media devices. Without them I would not know the things happening around me, to my friends, to the society. My laptop plus internet access pretty much tells the story of one whole day for me. If I have nothing better to do I just sit in front of my laptop either playing video games, surfing the web, or chatting with friends. If not my laptop I use my iPad and basically do what I do when I use my laptop. See? I am very dependent on my gadgets. Take them away and I get bored easily and become unaware of the happenings around.
I am somehow a prime example of someone using the Uses and Gratification Theory. The core proposition of the theory is "People actively seek out specific media and specific content to satisfy particular needs." This statement is very applicable to me. I have a cellphone so that I can communicate with my friends whenever I want or need to and it is loaded with songs so that when I get bored I just get my earphones and start listening to songs. I have my laptop so that I can make my papers, but my laptop has more uses than that. My laptop can also cure boredom because I have numerous video games installed in it and I just play when I am bored and when I get tired of playing I surf the internet and chat with my friends. I also have an iPad which basically has the same uses as my laptop the upside is that it is more portable. I have an Xbox when I want a real gaming console to play with. I also have guitars (both electric and acoustic ones) when sometimes I want to play some music on my own.
That is all. Time for me to get back to playing my games and chatting with my friends. :)
Just like what I said about Meryl's blog, everyone is dependent on media nowadays. I cannot imagine myself without a laptop with internet connection, nor a cellphone, nor an itouch, and the like. I don't know how life was back then without all these gadgets and media. I really am thankful that media surrounds us because I am also a media dependent person. Without it, I will die. HAHA. Goodjob Joseph :)
ReplyDeleteYour title says it all! Media = being connected. I agree to what you have said that we seek out for specific media that will satisfy our needs. I can say that I have almost the same media that you're dependent on (except for the iPad). As a techie person, I am dependent on the internet as my primary source of information and as a communication medium as well.
ReplyDeleteNice blog dude! Keep it up! :D